Saturday, May 26, 2012

Quiet

Sometimes the quiet of my house is eerie.  I hear creaks and flutters and am left to wonder what is lurking outside my windows.  For this very reason, I've had to give up watching shows like "Law and Order" or Criminal Minds."  Sometimes my imagination just gets the best of me.

Tonight, the silence is welcome.  What a day we have had!  It has been a wonderful and jam packed day.  I started by going for a spontaneous and what turned out to be an excellently timed run, as the rain moved in shortly after I returned home and proceeded to fall the rest of the day.  A last minute jaunt to Target and quick visit from my brother-in-law rounded out the morning.  Briony and I then attended the wedding reception of one my old friends, and a family reunion this evening.  We were busy and very social.  I am an introvert, so tonight I will admit that I am exhausted.  I am reveling in the the quiet of my house tonight.  I am tempted to turn on some music, or a movie...but not just yet.  

Briony went to bed easily and now I am left reflecting.  I am so thankful tonight.  I have had a chance to reconnect and celebrate with people I hadn't seen in years.  I enjoyed the comfort of family.  Most of all, I got to experience the thrill of new places and spaces through the eyes of my toddler.  These types of events are quite different with a toddler in tow.  Its draining.  There is very little down time and conversations are often abbreviated because there needs to be time for exploring and moving.  I always have to think for two in terms of food.  There are mandatory breaks for diaper changes, and nap time must be considered.  There is a fine line between teaching my child to be adaptable and flexible, and yet providing enough structure to ensure that she still feels comfortable.  Today, was the first day that I felt I was able to manage at least a small amount of balance.  I am chalking today up as a mini-triumph day.

After I kissed my sweet girl for the last time tonight and gently shut the door to her room, I was greeted with my sometimes arduous task of cleaning up from the day's adventures.  I always try to clean up throughout the day, but usually by mid-day the battle is lost.  I read somewhere that "cleaning up after children is like shoveling during a snowstorm."  I couldn't agree more.  Inevitably, the first several minutes after Briony goes to bed I am left with some sort of tidying up.

Sometimes, I dread it.  I want to just crawl back into the rocker in Briony's room, turn off the lights and just forget about the disaster that awaits throughout the house.  Other nights, I've found I enjoy it.  I try and embrace these rare nights.  Rather than sigh and let this chore fatigue me, I imagine I am on a bit of a time travel journey throughout the day.  Tonight was one of those nights.

As I walked through the house trying to put things back in their allocated spots, I remembered the events of the day.  I cleaned up the last bits of dropped food that Briony used to show me she was done eating.  I let myself imagine the days to come when she will be civilized and verbalize that she is full, rather than barbarically discard the last bits of food to the floor.  I chuckled as I put away her drum and relived when she pulled it out and promptly started dancing.  I put her shoes away and reflect upon how much work it can be to get out the door.  Sometimes, I find a few surprises, like the block that was tossed in the dog's water dish, the remote stuffed in the couch cushions or the few pieces of dog food in the tupperware cabinet.  I then proceeded to unpack our diaper bag and pull out the day's treasured toys that helped extend my toddler's patience just a little longer.  I put away the extra pairs of clothes and layers we needed because today Minnesota weather reminded us how finicky spring can be.

Mostly, I am reminded about how completely this little lady of ours has taken over our lives.  She fills up our house with so much laughter, chaos and joy.  Finished with my cleaning I collapse on the couch and think of simpler times when my days didn't end with so many chores.  Then I look up from the couch to find a taunting reminder that indeed a mother's work is never done...the last lone block sitting under the television stand...

No comments:

Post a Comment