Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In Memory

I learned Monday of the death of an old friend.  It seems odd to say "old friend" because the truth is she wasn't old at all.  She was young, my age.  Until recently it had been years since we had talked, but there was a time in our lives when we were inseparable.

We met in middle school, and hit it off immediately.  I don't believe anyone could dislike Jess, she was genuine and real.  During a time in life when so many people try to experiment with who they are, it was refreshing to have a friend who was true to herself and allowed me to be as well.

Jessica was a distance swimmer on the swim team in middle school, and her twin sister and I dove together on the diving team for a while.  I still remember her excitement whenever she achieved new personal records for herself.  She was driven and motivated.  We celebrated birthdays together and I was even invited on a few family excursions to Superior Shores.  We were confirmed together, and were in the same small groups together for confirmation.  We wrote multiple notes back and forth together (remember this was before texting and cell phones).  We sang in choir together.  She went with me to camp one summer.  She was a month younger than me, but still got her drivers license before me since I had to take mine three times to pass.

She even convinced me to join her in her acting endeavors with Stepping Stone Theater.  The play the year I participated was "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat."  It was no secret that I couldn't act, but it was a pleasure watching as Jess soaked up the experience.  I wasn't surprised at all to hear she had found a niche in acting at UW-Green Bay.

Jessica had a smile that lit up the room.  I will always be thankful for the times I was blessed enough to share with her.  Our friendship has been something I've cherished and will continue to cherish for the rest of my life.

Towards the end of high school Jessica faced some very hard challenges, and our friendship changed.  I never really gave up and even when her birthday came around last week I found myself wondering, like I do every November 21st, if there would ever be a time where we could meet up again and catch up.

Unfortunately, I won't get that chance.

Instead, I find myself comforted in the knowledge that Jessica has been surrounded by a large community of people that have cared for her in the years since we last spoke.  I know that while her hardships have been plentiful, and surely painful, she was well loved and well respected.  I feel confidant that her compassionate heart and beautiful smile have touched many lives.

Life is precious.  Life can be tremendously hard.  Life can also be too short.  Please don't hesitate to recognize the people in your life that keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment