Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Catching Up

I don't have a clear plan for this blog post.  I've sat down many times in the past couple of months to blog, but just can't seem to get anything going.  It certainly hasn't been for lack of material.  I haven't blogged since Thanksgiving, that has left countless of holidays, birthday celebrations, winter blues and spring celebrations that have been left undocumented.  We even had our first official family get away to Northern MN in the middle of a snow storm...ah well.  Today is the day I kick my blogging back into gear.

I've missed this space.  I have to admit that I ventured into the world of blogging unsure of what it would entail.  I don't really have a lot of valuable information to share.  I am not creative or crafty.  My life isn't that grand or exciting.  As of late the adventures have been few.  However, in the past few months I've realized I need this place.  I could journal, as that is mostly what this blog is about, but there is more accountability here.  I find that here I tend to think a little more universally, than when I journal.  It helps make me feel less isolated and more connected.

Life is pretty crazy for most people and opportunities to sit down with a good friend are few and far between.  I don't really have a lot of heart to hearts these days, and I miss that.  I have a lot of very supportive people in my life, but I feel it has been a long time since anyone has asked how things are going and have truly had the time or been interested in the answer.

Overall, things are going so well.  Briony is so much a part of our family now, I can hardly imagine a time without her.  I am loving the joy that she brings to our daily life.  I don't know that there has been a day yet when I haven't been thankful for her presence in our lives.  She is becoming a master imitator, and is quite interactive.  She is absolutely soaking up everything around her.  She is cautious in new situations, but learns quite effortlessly.  It amazes me how one minute she isn't doing something and then the next minute she is.  I continue to see attributes of Nick and I, and can't help but wonder how they will all play out as she grows.  She undeniably has Nick's looks.  She loves the outdoors.  She is wildly independent.  She wants someone close by at all times, but really needs alone time, too.  She has learned to name the two most important things in her life...Sadie and Zeke.  Her official first word is "hi" which she uses whenever she sees us or Sadie.  She can sign for "more," "milk," "eat," and "all done."  She is CONSTANTLY on the move.  This girl does not sit still.  She will now raise her arms in the air if you ask her "How big is Briony."  She was able to correctly identify her nose the other day.  She has attempted on multiple occasions to bathe her stuffed animals and books by throwing them in the tub and reaching for the faucet.  She is a great eater, but is certainly choosy about which foods she wants at specific times.   She is also very impatient.  Briony sleeps 12-14 hours at night and takes one nap during the day.  My biggest struggle with her is keeping her entertained.  She has such a short attention span that even when I make attempts at planned activities they only hold her interest for a few minutes.

I went through some rough, low confidence months at work during December and January.  This is my third nursing job now and I am definitely seeing a trend.  It always takes me a solid year to get even remotely comfortable in what I am doing, and I often struggle around the six month mark.  I am slowly rebuilding confidence in myself, and my skills.  I am so thankful for the varied opportunities I've had in the hospital setting, it really is amazing how different every area has been.  I have been so fortunate as I am now 3/3 in having an excellent group of co-workers to work with.

My biggest struggle continues to be finding a balance between my work, home and social life.  I've been working very hard on a paradigm shift, and it seems to be helping.  I am finding I have more confidance in my parenting skills, and general Briony awareness.  I am more comfortable working on household chores and have even cooked a few meals again.  I am exercising a little more which my body desperately needed, and coincidentally so did my emotions.  I am almost to the point where I am actually craving to get out running if I miss a few days...

My biggest void is friendships.  Working weekends and straight evenings, means I am often not available when most people are.  Nick is almost never available, meaning we miss out on a lot of "couple opportunities."  In general, making and keeping friends is not a strength of mine, so finding and seeking out connections has been a little tough. My schedule is also sporadic enough that routine and scheduled meetings, like ECFE, gets a little tricky.  I am also very BAD at signing myself up for commitments like that.  I usually enjoy them in the end, but getting myself to follow through is not a strength of mine.

Thanks so much for catching up with me today.  I know there was a lot of over-share today, but I am hoping that this can help me jump back into the blogging world.


No comments:

Post a Comment